« Back to Glossary Index

« Back to Article

For a deuterium-tritium plasma, ignition occurs when the heating of the plasma by the helium nuclei is equal to the heat loss. As the helium only retains 20% of the energy (the other 80% are carried off by the neutrons), considerably more fusion energy output is required over breakeven to achieve ignition.